Essential Tenant Information & Emergency Maintenance contact

Welcome to your new home!

Dear tenant,

We sincerely hope your move to your rental property in North West London went smoothly and that you’re finding your new home comfortable. Please find below the online version of the Information Pack you were given when you moved in, with useful contact numbers and details surrounding general tenant care, protocol and responsibilities.

Property Management

Your property is managed by London Residential. For any maintenance issues please contact our Property Management department on 020 3819 6971 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The department is open Mon-Fri 9am-6pm and Saturdays 10am-4pm.

Emergency Maintenance

When our office is closed, our out-of-office team must only be called in the case of a genuine emergency. If the problem is not deemed to be an emergency then you will be held liable for the call out charge.

In the event that you experience an emergency maintenance problem outside of office hours, please contact one of the following companies who will be able to assist you:

National Grid – Gas Leaks 24-hour emergency line                 : 0800 111 999

National Grid - Call our 24-hour electricity emergency line : 0800 404 090

Thames Water - 24-hour leaks/burst pipes                                 : 0800 714 614

Leaks, Plumbing & Heating:

Onsite (Plumbing, Heating & Electrics)                                         : 0759 027 6442

London Heating Solutions (Plumbing & Heating)                      : 020 7607 7171 / 07949 984 299

Should Stoneview or London Heating Solutions be unavailable to attend then please contact a local plumber. The contractor who visits your rental property in North West London will decide if you have a legitimate emergency and their decision will be final. If their decision is that your call is not an emergency then your details will be recorded and sent to your Property Manager at London Residential and you will be contacted the next working day for an appointment to be arranged.

It should be noted that the contractor is only required to make your property safe and therefore only the call-out charge would be applicable. Should any additional works be required then this must be authorised by London Residential or the landlord. Under no circumstances are you permitted to authorise any works yourself.


Please note that prior to an electrician attending, you will need to have checked the fuse box to ensure that the switches have not simply tripped. If you have an electricity power cut or local cable emergency, you will also need to contact your local electricity network operator to ensure they have not turned it off in the street/building.


In the event that you have lost or forgotten your keys, please contact one of the following locksmiths. However, this will be at your own cost so please ensure you obtain a quotation beforehand.

KEYS4U Locksmith Services   : 020 3384 5891 / 020 3468 0413

Prime Alert                                    : 020 8226 6866

Broken windows or doors following a break-in:

You MUST report any break-ins or attempted break-ins to the police in the first instance and obtain a crime reference number. Please be sure to make them aware of any damage so that they can have this noted on their records.

A contractor will attend to temporarily board up the window/door and make the property safe. They would then re-attend during working hours to replace any glass to the window/door as deemed necessary. Please note, if it is NOT deemed to be an emergency and an engineer has been called to attend out of normal working hours then the cost of the additional charge will be borne by yourself.


Please ensure you register your details with the relevant provider for your gas, water, electricity and council tax (if these are not already included in your rent). For rental property in Camden, for example, register with the local provider for each service.


Royal Mail advises that if you receive mail that has your address on it, but with a different name, just strike through your address, write ‘not known at this address’ and re-post it (no stamp necessary).


Please contact your local council for further information surrounding rubbish collection to find out the collection days and frequency of collection of rubbish in your area.


For bus and train routes please refer to


Please ensure that each time you leave your property you deadlock your door and that the main door for the building closes and locks behind you.

NB: Please remember to send us your new contact details should they change, ie phone numbers, email addresses etc.

Tenant Directory

London Councils
London Borough of Westminster 08453 023 400 or 020 7641 6000
London Borough of Camden 020 7278 4444
London Borough of Islington 020 7527 2000
Haringey Council 020 8489 0000


Gas & Electricity Suppliers
N- Power 0808 156 056
Southern Electricity 0800 117 116
Powergen 0800 404 065
British Gas 08456 006 113
EDF Energy 0800 096 2270
Transco 08456 056 677
Thames Water 08459 200 888


Telephone, Television & Internet
TV Licencing 09118 140 990
British Telecom 0800 800 150  


Tenant’s Care, Protocol and Responsibilities

How to keep your drains unblocked:

  • Hair and soap scum are major culprits in clogging bath and shower drains. Use a drain screen to catch the debris and clean the screen regularly.
  • Don't pour grease or any other food waste down the drain.
  • When you finish cooking, let the grease harden and scoop out as much as you can into the garbage. If you pour grease down the drain it will harden in your pipes. Also avoid throwing coffee grounds, toothpaste, paper, etc down the sinks.
  • Regularly clean your sink stoppers.
  • Pop-up stoppers can accumulate build-up and should be cleaned regularly.
  • Pour a solution of boiling water with washing-up liquid down your drains once a week. Make this a regular part of your cleaning routine to clear the pipes of any scum and build-up.

If your drain gets clogged.

This can be easily solved by using a drain unblocker sold at any DIY store (ask advice first) and, if still clogged after 3 hours, try a plunger. Keep it at home for your usual preventive maintenance every 6 months.

Mould, damp and condensation:

Mould is the result of condensation and moisture within the rental property, especially during winter time. To avoid this, produce less moisture. Below are some ways to reduce moisture:

  • Cooking: Cover pans and keep your kitchen hood extractor on or the window slightly open if it’s not too cold.
  • Washing clothes: Put washing outdoors to dry if you can or put it in the bathroom with the door closed and the window open or fan on. It is best to keep the fan switched to run continuously for clothes drying.

Ventilate as much as possible to remove the moisture:

  • Increase ventilation in the kitchen and bathroom when in use and shut the door.
  • Ventilate cupboards, wardrobes and blocked chimneys.
  • Wipe down the windows and sills every morning. Wring out the cloth rather than drying it on a radiator.
  • Do not block permanent ventilators.

What is condensation?

There is always some moisture in the air, even if you cannot see it. If the air gets colder it cannot hold all the moisture and tiny drops of water appear. This is condensation. You may notice it when you see your breath on a cold day, or when the mirror mists over when you have a bath. Condensation channels and sponge strips can be bought at any DIY store and they are simply fitted to windows to collect the condensation.

Boiler and heating:

  • Check the boiler is switched on first.
  • Check the thermostat is on adequate temperature and valves on radiators are open.
  • If you know where the reset button is, please try this once.
  • Make sure you haven’t lost your gas supply

Complete water failure:


  • Find out if it’s just you; ask your neighbours if they have water.
  • If all properties are without water, then check with the local water authority - they’ve probably shut down the mains in the street for emergency maintenance.

Leaks into your property or from a property above:

If you discover water, here’s what you should do:

  • Put a bucket under the leak and turn off all electrics in and around the area where the leak is.
  • Knock on your neighbour’s door to see if they are in and find out what they’ve recently used (bath, shower, washing machine, etc.) Try to shut off water to the faulty appliance, ie a stopcock you can turn off.

We would also remind you of the essential precautions which you should be taking to protect your rental property in Camden during the winter months, particularly if you are intending to go away during the holiday period.

  • To prevent pipes from becoming frozen and subsequently bursting, resulting in costly damage to the property and to both the Landlord’s and your own possessions, please remember to leave the central heating on, either at a continuous low temperature or at the normal temperature on a timer programmed to come on twice a day to cover the coldest hours.
  • In addition, if you are going away at this or any other time of the year, please ensure that all doors and windows are locked, the security alarm (if applicable) is activated, and any newspaper or milk deliveries are cancelled. We would also remind you that the terms of your Tenancy Agreement require you to advise us if the property is going to be unoccupied for 14 days or more. This goes for all property rentals in North West London.